I’ve been coding since ‘97, and working in IT since ‘07. During that time I have tackled a wide variety of projects. From high performance payment processing to VPN management software to development tooling and much more. I’m particularly experienced with Ruby, but I’m also pretty flexible.
I’m unusually fast at reading code and understanding complex systems. Because of that:
- I can get up to speed in a legacy project much faster than most. This is very useful if you have an urgent need on a project where most coders require significant ramp-up time to be effective.
- I can find the root cause of bugs very quickly, especially when combined with a methodological approach and experience across the stack.
- I can rapidly audit code for quality, security, and reliability issues.
- I like discovering the most efficient solution to solve a problem. I would much rather save you money and leave a great impression than try to squeeze you for the most amount of work.
- I have extensive experience with infrastructure, DevOps, and security. That means if a problem touches those areas, I can take care of it too.
- I am not a marketing, sales, or business person by nature, but I have enough experience in those areas to easily communicate with all types of stakeholders.
- I am self-driven and organized; I do not require supervision to be effective.
- I enjoy technical writing, so if documentation is a priority, I’m happy to help.
- I am not a fanatic about any particular development methodology or tool. While I have some preferences, my primary focus is on creating business value.
Some technologies I’ve worked with:
- Ruby (including Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, and standalone applications)
- C#, Java (Spring/Hibernate)
- PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, MySQL, Redis, Solr/Lucene
- Graphite, Kibana, Grafana, Logstash, Icinga, Jenkins
- Varnish, HAProxy, Pound, Nginx, Apache, Passenger
- Ansible, Vagrant, Docker, DCOS, Kubernetes
- SSH, OpenVPN, TCP/IP
- tcpdump, strace, lsof, and friends
- Linux (Debian, Ubuntu), FreeBSD
- AWS (EC2, ELB/ALB, S3, CloudFront, Lambda, Batch, VPC, etc.)